Monday, April 9, 2012

Where, Oh Where, Should My Tithing Go?

I've been facing a dilemma lately. Where do I send my tithe? There are so many places that need help...poverty, children, and spiritual outreaches among them. 


Does God want us to tithe to our church or spread it out a bit? Does He want us to give it to something that spiritually fills us as well like a Christian broadcast? Where, oh where, should it go?


Yesterday, we were told that the church fund is depleted for giving to those in need in our own community. For awhile, I've been sending my tithe to the global church needs. Now, I know where I need to give. God put it on my heart. I pulled out what I could from my wallet to put in the offering immediately and will mail a check for the rest. I need to take care of those in my community.


My friends and I teach children in our community who are affected by these extreme needs. I see the direct effects on children who aren't getting their basic needs met regularly. It changes them completely when they are hungry and tired. They can't concentrate and attitudes become extreme in apathy or poor choices. 


God has so many areas where we can give. It's not like He tells us exactly where it should go, but I know He will put it on your heart if you listen to it. I know my tithe is going to do God's work somewhere in the world.

“The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' " (Matthew 25:40)

No comments:

Post a Comment